The Core Website Pages
The core site pages are the body of the website and will convey the information about the products, services and organisations.
A simple five page website might consist of the following pages:
- Home Page - introducing core information about the business
- Products/Services - details of the products or services being offered
- About us - background information about the business
- FAQ - an opportunity to provide visitors with answers to common questions
- Contact us - enquiry form & contact information
The core site can be further categorised as brochure pages (e.g. Home, About, Contact, Links) or catalogue pages which normally hold products. Whilst a starting point for these pages could be the content you may have developed for a traditional off-line printed brochure, we'd recommend reviewing the content against
our good practice guidelines set out in our ' Copywriting for Search Engines' section.
An on-line shop (sometimes known as checkout pages) will allow visitors add & remove products or services to/from their 'basket' and 'checkout', view shipping rates, tax charges, specify the delivery information & pay.
The shop pages are often built using 'off the shelf' shopping cart software solutions. In the case of our own clients' shops they fall into the following categories:
- Pay Pal Buttons - Here the 'Add to Basket' buttons link to basket & checkout pages on the PayPal site. This provides an inexpensive build option, but a less seamless experience because of the relatively early transfer to PayPal based basket & checkout pages.
- Our own in-house shopping cart system - which is a relatively inexpensive option for simple shops that passes the shopper to Paypal at the end of the checkout process.
- 'Off the Shelf' shopping cart software - Provide a wide range of features typically required to manage an on-line shop. Care is needed to choose the solution that provides the most appropriate features/solution for your particular needs.
- Bespoke Shop - Building a shop from the ground up can provide more flexibility & customisation but can be relatively expensive.
Usually shoppers are taken to a secure third party to to specify sensitive payment information like credit card details. For more information on payment options see our E-commerce page.